This started out as a "What I'm Thankful for" column entry, but it deserves its own post, and besides, it's too long anyway.
I got to sit next to a Born-Again Christian (former Jew) on the flight home, and we talked probably 1 1/2 hrs about the differences between Mormons & Born Agains. We found lots of similarities, and many differences. Good thing my favorite genre of book is Christian fiction. I felt I understood his faith well enough to communicate with him on his terms, and thanks to all the LDS general conference talks of late, I felt I could answer some of the questions he had.
We found two main differences that we both agreed to do our homework on and get back to each other. I am to study again the Mormon response to the closing words in Revelation where it says "not to add or subtract from these words" and he is to research more on baptism being required for salvation or not.
I came away having born testimony to him several times, of several things. We both had an added understanding and respect for each other's faith. I felt that he had no question in his mind that I was a Christian, and that we saw things much the same way, but we had lots of unnecesary appendages like prophets, additional scripture, ordinances, etc. I felt strongly that he would not accept a copy of the BofM at this time, although I wished I had a copy for him. He was intrigued with my mention of the marriage sealing we'd been to that weekend, but relieved to know that we still put God first even in that relationship. I asked about how he reconciled God's fairness to all those born without the chance of ever knowing who Christ was, and he responded with the idea that God is in all things, and that anyone can recognize him if they are searching.
So again, we both have our homework, and plan to not have that be the end of our sharing. Awesome opportunity! God placed us together, I'm sure of it.
God bless us all!
3 comments:
How fortunate you were there. I just gave a lesson today on literacy and how the Lord can use us with our own interests to serve him. How appropriate!
cool. If you google chronology of new testament books, you'll find interesting info.
Karl
I was just gonna say what Karl said... the Book of Revelation was actually written before some of the other books of the New Testament... Besides... Man didn't add to the scriptures, God did.
Great experience.
Post a Comment