Thursday, May 22, 2008

Samuel did it AGAIN!

I have to congratulate Samuel for his 4th 100 days in a row piano practicing!! It's paying off too, as he's doing super on the piano. I'll have to record him playing sometime, and post it. Here's his celebration cake.

He is my son who is most comfortable when he follows a strict routine regularly. Veer from that routine, and he's not very happy. Here's his school morning routine: Wake up at 5 a.m. Get dressed, make lunch, pack backpack, and do some cleaning in the family room to earn a later privilege, and practice from 5:30 to 6:00 (6 a.m. - when the rest of the family is getting up- he's my alarm clock!) Then, since he's ready to go, other than eating breakfast, he has time to get on the computer and play a game for a while (the privilege he earned earlier) until breakfast & leaving! So, getting 100 days in a row is not too hard for him, other than remembering to practice on days other than school mornings - Saturdays & holidays. (Sundays are not required.) But he does well with that too, often surprising me that he hasn't practiced yet that day. I NEVER have to tell that kid to practice - can you believe that? I never thought there'd come that day.

Jason's doing incredibly well with the piano too. He is now learning more than a song a week. His piano teacher loves teaching him - he learns a whole song in a few minutes. He reads a bit, and plays by ear a lot. She told me that he's free to go onto the next song without her anytime. I help him as much as he'll allow. But nobody's super teachable around here...

I'm sorry I've been "offline" for nearly three weeks! I've been busy, I've been sick, and I've been busy...oh, I already said that. I haven't made a final decision about working next year, but it's looking good. They told me to set any schedule I want, and I'm looking at maybe working 3 days a week, and off the rest. :) That, and better pay, too! Have a great day!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's so good that you have the kids taking piano lessons. I took lessons for only one year, but from that was able to read music. A few years back I was called to the primary pianist position at church, (yes, they were desprate.) Because of the year of piano lessons, I was able to bring out a talent later in life. It was one of my most favorite callings. (a little stressful, but with practice...) and I even played the primary program in sacrament. Katie loves piano lessons and is doing great, but w/o a piano it's hard. We have grandpa's little organ in the garage, but it's not the same. I figure it's still worth it though. Gosh my comment is loooongggg.

Karen said...

Congrats to Samuel!!! I am jealous of your piano lessoning... And I am so proud that all of your children are learning it. So good for their brains!!! Keep it up, it's a blessing.

Harlene said...

Good work Samuel! Good work Mom!

MarieC said...

Yay, that is SO great! I'm so glad that there are young men learning to play the piano! ;-)

Karyn said...

I don't know what I am more impressed with. The piano playing or getting up at 5 AM!!!! That is true dedication. :)

Becky said...

Congratulations to Samuel!! I took piano lessons for over ten years, and I don't know that I EVER practiced 100 days in a row, much less 400. What a great accomplishment!