Thursday, May 20, 2010

Ramblings...really!

I'm going to ramble during this post, because it's an attempt to keep busy during a mindless exercise...and I've been feeling the need to write.

I'm sitting here watching the other computer screen on my desk as one of my faithful volunteers is scanning the barcodes of all the non-fiction books, one at a time. We're doing inventory. I'm watching for pop-ups (wrong barcode or alert notes on a book), out of order barcodes (the system marks those), or any books on the shelves that were still checked out. It's pretty brainless work, I just have to keep my eyes glancing back at the other screen with each scan and know what to look for. But I HATE mindless work if I can't do something else at the same time. When I don't have a volunteer to help, I have to do books I can reach easily and still see the screen and reach the keyboard. Those are the times I pull up general conference talks on the internet and listen while I work. Then I love mindless work, 'cause it's no longer mindless! I have to have to have something occupying my brain.

That reminds me of my mom, and how she came to love doing the dishes. She raised nine children, so there were lots of dishes. And (since she's like me) I'm sure there were many times when the dish schedule didn't always work perfectly, so I'm sure there were LOTS to do often. For a long time she just hated the job, but then one day she realized that she could think about anything she wanted during that time, and how often do busy moms get that opportunity? Since that discovery she's loved doing dishes. Cool, huh? I have yet to perfect that attitude, but I think on it often.

More ramblings: I've been really missing our neighbor who passed away a couple of weeks ago, more than most. I've been wondering why. We've had other deaths in our ward in recent years that haven't affected me like this one. The other most recent one was a young father who died of a brain tumor, but we knew about that one for two years. Another couple were suicides, which you think would be worse, so why would this one affect me so much? Maybe it's because Nels and I got to share dinner with him and his wife that last night, and I learned so much more about him and was looking forward to future discussions with them both. Maybe it's because I realized how close we were in age. Maybe it's because I'm putting myself more in his wife's place because Nels asked me the next day, "What would you do if that was me?" Whatever it is, I'm not sad for him at all, and his family seem to be taking it SO well. They know where he is, and that he's still theirs and always will be... But Alma 40 has never meant so much to me! I keep re-reading it. I have always especially liked verse 8, wherein it talks about how "time only is measured unto men." We mortals are the only ones who have to face the limits and frustrations of time! So a death like that of your husband or father or someone else close may seem like an interminably long loss while a mortal, but without time, there is no long or short wait. Thanks to the Savior's atonement and with the right perspective there is no sting in death, only some temporary loneliness. Hmmmm...something to think about.

Well, I've been writing this in bits and pieces all day, and I'd better post this so that I can be done with it for now.

Life goes on!

2 comments:

Harlene said...

Thinking of you!

Karen said...

Life: the infamous loop thrower. Here's to the adventure.
Why is it I don't remember that story of Mom and the dishes?
I have a similar one though.
Love and Miss you! Looking forward to being closer!!