Friday, May 7, 2010

A tribute to a great man...

Saturday, May 1st, Nels & I attended a ward activity, "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" at the home of Lisa & Brent Olsen. Other couples there included Curt and Angi Cummings, and Gary and AnneMarie Hatch. We had a fun evening with lots of interesting discussions about lots of stuff - books, politics, families and family vacations, missions, Scout activities ("You don't tell our wives and we won't tell your moms!") where we were when the revelation on the priesthood was received, and where we were during the SLC street floods of 1983, and on and on. It was a delightful evening with dear friends. (We were so caught up in our conversation that we never made it to the church for dessert and games with the other ward members - SO sorry, everyone!)

The next day we discovered that Gary Hatch (45 yrs) died around 11:00 p.m. of a pulmonary embolism! Our ward suffered together as we reeled from the news of Gary's death. A lot of hugs and tears and pulling together. Gary's and AnneMarie's daughter even came to YW, with a peaceful smile, comforting the rest of us. Her faith and optimism is so characteristic of her father! YW President, Annette Keeler said in her sacrament meeting testimony that she visited with Maren earlier that day saying, "I'm sure your dad is in heaven with Heavenly Father." Maren's firm and faithful response, " Oh, I KNOW he is!"

Sunday afternoon I spent some time writing about the discussions we'd had Saturday night - something to share with AnneMarie -I still marvel that we had the honor of enjoying the last supper with Gary, and wonder what we needed to learn from it. I spent some time on Facebook, mourning with others and remembering him. Gary was also my friend on Goodreads and his collection of books was astounding. They marked a truly educated man. I didn't realize before that he was a BYU English Professor! Today at his funeral I learned a lot more than that! (Find his obituary/bio here.)

I remember once when I had left a review on a book I'd read recently, "First Impressions," a modern Christian play on the book Pride & Prejudice, that Gary reminded me, "First Impressions was Austen's original title for Pride & Prejudice." His response made more sense when I learned his occupation, I'll tell you!

Nels, Gregory, Samuel and I attended the funeral today. The church was so full there were chairs on the stage back beyond the cultural hall. It was a beautiful tribute to an amazing man. The Scouts from our ward came dressed in their Scout uniforms (some past Scouts & leaders too) and sang "Called to Serve". Mom B picked up Gregory after a school field trip and he made it in plenty of time to join the choir. The boys in uniform later lined the flag lined sidewalk from the church to the hearse. It was neat. Gary had been a BYU English professor, former BYU Bishop, former Scoutmaster/Scout/Primary leader for ages (including Samuel's last year), and lots of other influences to his credit. A very educated man, he was also full of fun (always happy!) and humble as could be. He loved his God and his family and everyone around him! He was our friend.

I am thankful for his contribution to our world. I am thankful for the Plan of Salvation and the Savior's atonement that makes all of this alright. I'm thankful for the peace that Gary's family feels because of their faith in God's plan. Our prayers go out to AnneMarie, their son on a mission in Berlin, Germany, and their other two teenagers at home. Thank Heaven mortality is only temporary!!! Thank Heaven for eternal marriage, and that families can be together forever after this life. All is well.

1 comment:

gphowlett said...

Oh my goodness! This must have been a very special experience for any of you who knew this man. We all have to go sometime and what a wonderful thing to go full of life and from a family who knows the truth about the hereafter. How priceless is the memory.