| At Dad B's Birthday party...this is my "before" picture! |
I have a little help now, (actually a LOT) - I joined Weight Watchers - and I LOVE it. It's exactly the impetus I've been needing.
1. Someone to be accountable to.
2. A way to learn wise, proper portion sizes, food values, etc.
3. A way to track what I'm eating so that I can see it and be honest about it.
4. Encouragement along the way.
5. Someone to be truly accountable to. (A friend isn't good enough.)
Weight Watchers has a new program (within the last few months) which makes SO much sense to me. After taking into account the effort it takes your body to process different foods, all fruit and most vegetables are free for the eating. Other foods - I eat much less than I used to, are kept within the allowed points. The fruit & veges help me feel full and I'm picking them over other choices most of the time. Also with their new "Points Plus" plan, there are extra points to use during the week as you see fit - all at once or spread out, so that you don't have to feel deprived and still stay on your diet. I can do this for a very long time!
I can eat what I want, but I eat less of it, and make wiser choices. For example I eat two pancakes instead of six, and pile them high with unsweetened applesauce (free) instead of syrup or jam, and have some other fruit on the side. I still put butter on them, just a bit, that tiny bit doesn't count. If I want the syrup, I could have it, but I'd rather save my points, including the extras, for something else I'd like more. This last couple of weeks my splurges included: a chocolate chip cookie bar (ok, two!), a brownie and a root beer float. And I stayed within my points, and still lost weight. I worried about our driving trip for spring break - I tend to nibble while I drive - but instead of eating trail mix, I nibbled on grapes, carrots and apples and the measured servings of Cheez-its and other stuff I prepared before we left. It was easy!
I've found what I've been praying for. I'm not hungry and I'm already loosing weight too! Now I just have to figure out how to include regular exercise into that. (But let's be realistic, I'm NOT getting up earlier than the 5:00 I already do for it.)
I did it! I finally made the commitment to eat less and better foods, and it's easier than I expected, both because of the commitment, and because of the tools I've found. Next commitment - the exercise.
I CAN DO THIS!
7 comments:
Yeah for you! Finding time to exercise is hard, especially when you have a family around. I'm finally finding time to fit it in, but that's only because my kids are gone by 6 AM and you can't really do errands that early! I've found my greatest success with turning on a BYU scripture discussion and just keeping moving while I listen. That doesn't necessarily get my heart rate too high, but I figure it's better than nothing! And I'm trying to consciously add more fruits and vegetables to my diet. I don't think I'd be successful with a no-sugar, no-white-flour diet, but I can try to limit those not-good-for-you foods. We're all proud of you!!!
Awesome, Susan! I'm proud of you for making the commitment to not only eat well, but for putting YOU first!
As a audience to your last week I saw how easy it really was. There were a couple times you had to make choices and you did so well! I'm so happy for you! :)
Good for you! I need to find something I can commit to, as well. You're an inspiration.
Way to go!
Exercise. . .schmexercise. . .It needs to happen, but it's hard to do. I find that I do better when I wear a pedometer because it motivates me to keep moving (pace while brushing teeth etc.) And if I write down my steps each day it motivates me even more to keep my steps up.
Good luck (and btw, I really like your haircut).
Good for you, Susan! We are happy for you. We have started exercising every day too and it seems I'm not so hungry all the time. We'll keep cheering each other on. Love you, Mom
I am so impressed! Good for you!
Post a Comment