Friday, October 3, 2008

Catching up Ramblings...

So it seems like a YEAR since I last posted something worth reading here, but I've been busy, and my saturated mind couldn't think of what to say. Finally I made a list, and I'll just mention a bunch of things that have been going on, or things that kids said that I want documented. Read on if you want...

After all these years, our family finally moved our scripture reading from night time before bed to mornings at 6:00 a.m school days (yet to determine the weekend schedule...any suggestions?) Nels' early morning work schedule has been being fazed out, and he has been suggesting that it was time, and finally Sunday night, we agreed to start it Monday morning. At first I was hesitant to see if we could make it work, but work it has! In fact scripture reading has improved 10 fold (people are too sleepy to be obnoxious or noisy...:D ) and the kids (the teens) who were waking up 2-5 minutes before it was time to leave the house, now have to get up more than an hour before we leave, and they really like being more prepared in the mornings. SO DO I! Also, bed time is so much easier! Ta da!

We've had this weird abt 24 hr flu like thing going through the kids. It's been epidemic at the school, so of course we've had it too. First it was Samuel, then Jason, then Gregory, and then Jason again. I can't remember if Jonathan has had it yet or not...? It's feel weird for a while, throw up once or twice, sleep a lot, then fine the next day...but everybody is at school today!

Gregory got sick last Monday night, on his way home from an awesome Freshman unity-building activity up at the Heber Valley Girls' Camp facility. He had a blast there, but felt weird on his way home...ended up staying home the next day. But he was happy to finally receive his birthday present - the new cell phone! (We'd had to crunch the numbers before we could pick it up.) He was too sick to appreciate it for the first 24 hours, but he's happy with it. If anyone has suggestions on cell phone rules/charges for teens, pass them on. We're paying half of his monthly bill, since it's of value to me, having to pick him up from the bus stop 3 afternoons a month, and so forth. (Did I mention his school was able to negotiate a annual bus pass for the same price as monthly one?! Yippee!)

That same Monday night, we had a fun birthday party at Mom B's for my niece, Heidi, who turns 25 this week! She has matured so beautifully in the past few years! She is so sweet, and I'm glad to have her back in the area. (She was such a little girl at our wedding!)

My plantar faciitis hurt like mad for a few days, went to the doctor, got night splints (each a week apart, but that's another story!) they helped for a few days, then worse than ever, finally got some meds, they didn't work, got some more, and whew, I've been almost like new, thank heaven! Nels says, "What's with you falling apart already??" Ha ha.

Last Saturday night was the General RS Broadcast, an annual must for us sisters - that's where we recharge our batteries, and listen to our leaders, including prophets, remind us that we are loved by the Lord-as we are, to be gentle and realistic with ourselves, and to believe we can do what is required of us with His help! Find transcripts, MP3, and video versions here.
I got to play volleyball last night with other women of our ward and stake - it was just as fun then as when I used to play back in college!
I really enjoyed the VP debate last night, and felt that Sarah Pallin did very well; I even came away understanding something I hadn't before. BTW, my aunt & uncle from Anchorage AK encouraged us all to "vote for her, she's the real deal".
I just found out my sister & family may be coming down here this weekend. I sure hope so, and we look forward to seeing her!

Speaking of this weekend, it's conference weekend! Here we go! (See last year's post for our traditions.) I just came home from the grocery store with a pile of conference boat & bingo treats.
My dad wrote some awesome comments on my entries from my personal history blog. That was cool! He remembers far more than I, and I appreciate his sharing details to fill in my memory gaps.

I wanted to share a couple of quotes. Jason recognized "God Be With You Til We Meet Again" as I played it on the piano and remembered when we sang that with my parents, and aunts and uncles Saturday before they went into the MTC. He said, "When we sang that, I started to miss them." Jonathan says the most amazing prayers. I expressed concern for the financial state of our country, and how it might affect my parents retirement money, and he prayed for them - specifically that "their money would be okay." (Jason prays that they'll "get lots of people to join the church," and their's is a Family History mission!) Samuel's msg to G & G Howlett is, "I love you, and good luck. Have a good time."

Did you know that the BYU Mint Brownie recipe has been published?! Click on the picture to go to it!

And finally, I've been studying the most wonderful doctrine in my personal scripture reading.(I'm reading just ahead of the family, so we started that same section yesterday!) It's Alma 41-42, where Alma is teaching his son that those who desire happiness in this life will get it! It's that section where it talks about good restored to good, evil to evil, etc., but it's the DESIRE that is most important! So, women, there's hope for us! All we have to do is desire, do our best, and trust in the atonement of Jesus Christ, and IT IS ENOUGH. God is so great!

You made it to the end! Wow, thanks. :) Once I got going, I went for it!

8 comments:

Darcee said...

We do family scriptures in the morning also (Tom and I both grew up with that so we don't know any other way.) But we don't know how people make it work at night-- and I guess the night people don't know how the morning people pull it off. Kind of funny what you are used to. Congrats on a successful switch. We love the morning time too.

I haven't stopped thinking about President Uchtdorf's talk on Saturday night. Read it again today and that brought different insights. It was a wonderful meeting and was definitely recharging as you mentioned.

MarieC said...

Wow, when you post you really POST!!! :-)

What sealed the deal for me (finally) in the debate is how each candidate answered the same-sex marriage question.

Becky said...

We're opposite! We started with morning scripture study (when the kids were in elementary school), but now do it in the evening. We don't have 100% attendance all the time, but whoever's home gathers just before bedtime and it's working for us.

I have such fond memories of the BYU mint brownies. Their recipe is a little different from my mom's. I guess it's time for a comparison test!

Enjoy your conference boats and bingo :)

all that i love said...

It is crazy how much can happen in just a few weeks and we may not relize it (or it doesn't sink in) until we stop to write it down. Sounds like September/October has been really busy for you. Thanks for sharing your families ups and downs with us. Sorry to hear about the family being sick.

P.S
I am really excited to make the famous "BYU Mint Brownie". I had one just last month when we were visiting for the game.

Frieda Loves Bread said...

Hope your family is feeling better! Thanks for sharing the AM scripture study...we will have to switch...not everyone is around here at night! As far as cell phones, our rules are: 1)make sure it is charged 2)do not screen calls 3)silent mode during school; ringer on after school 4)turn it off before 10 PM or give to parents. We pay for the cell, and if they want the texting, they have to pay for it. What are your feelings on texting?

Karen said...

I have two words..... MINT BROWNIES!!! I'm glad you aren't sick anymore and can enjoy those brownies, and if Greg had texting he might text the brownie recipe to someone. Is THAT kosher? And as it happens I watched women's conference at my friends house on Wed. and guess what we snacked on? BROWNIES. The only thing that could have improved the conf. was if those brownies were MINT. My life has improved because of your post. Thanks! ;)

Amy Lynn said...

I love who you are. What an amazing woman! You manage the different aspects of your life with courage and determination and I love reading about your triumphs and successes and the wonderful things happening in your family. It is inspirational and real and motivating! And any blog with a BYU mint brownie recipe is my kind of blog!!!

Harlene said...

GO take a nap!!!

Love you!