I awoke between 5 and 5:30 a.m. Saturday morning to the sounds of a bunch of kids downstairs, and somebody practicing the piano really loud, (Samuel, of course.) I marched downstairs and announced that it was "still bedtime, not wake up time, and no one should be playing the piano, and conference doesn't start for another 5 hours, so go back to sleep!" The younger 4 had all their conference boats set up in front of the TV! I went back to bed, grumbling to Nels about it, and he chuckled, "You'd think it was Christmas!" Go figure! (Then they watched "The Best Two Years" and some other movie before the day finally got started!)

But general conference was wonderful, and the kids did love it. We talked over dinner tonight what they remembered most, and I was surprised to notice that they WERE listening, and not just coloring, cutting, eating and talking to one another. Now to download the MP3s and enjoy listening & actually hearing them...! :)
BTW, we counted 15 red ties this year - the children in our Primary count the red ties of speakers, and get rewarded a roll of smarties for telling me, the secretary. "Conference Watchers are Smarties."
3 comments:
Wow. I need some serious tips on making conference weekend a little more like "christmas" and a little less like "2 days in pergatory". OK, it really wasn't THAT bad but I'm definitely looking forward to hearing ALL the talks and not just the little bits in between the yelling at the children to pipe down!
What are the kids "boats"? And where do you get them??
Conference boats = Blankies which they can't get off of or they'll drown. Click on the "General Conference" label of this post, and see all other posts I've put up on the subject. The first (Oct 4, 07) post gives the most detail. :)
Well I did conference packets and that was semi-successful. But then we had 4 extra kids at our house this weekend...mp3's here i come. Did you notice there was almost NOTHING said about being prepared? It seems like they know the time of preparation is past... :0
Post a Comment