Monday, October 3, 2011

About Crows and More


ABOUT CROWS
by John Ciardi The old crow is getting slow; the young crow is not. Of what the young crow does not know, the old crow knows a lot. At knowing things, the old crow is still the young crow's master. What does the old crow not know? How to go faster. The young crow flies above, below, and rings around the slow old crow. What does the fast young crow not know? WHERE TO GO?

I found the poem here.
I loved President Packer's use of this poem in General Conference this weekend. All of General Conference was fabulous, as usual! It's also great having kids old enough that there's not a lot of babysitting that has to go on all the time anymore - I can usually hear most of it now!
I also LOVED Elder Ardern's quote of a Christian
Mother’s blog: “Motherhood is not a hobby – it is a calling. You do not collect
children because you find them cuter than stamps. It’s not what you do if you
can squeeze the time in – it is what God gave you time for!” SO TRUE - and now this woman's blog post is scripture! The rest of his talk was valuable, especially about being careful of the addictive nature of technology available to us today. I loved his other thoughts, including: Cyber
friends are not as good as real friends who can give a hug when needed. “Ye are
no more strangers and foreigners, but fellow citizens with the Lord.” “I urge each
of us to take those things which rob us of precious time and determine to be their
master rather than allowing them through their addictive nature to be the master
of us!” “Satan will
tempt us to misuse our time through disguised distractions.” (These are why I only go onto FB about once a week, and it took us until very recently to have texting on our phones, and even now there are strict rules about that!)


Our "conference boats" turned into "Conference Turtles" yesterday!
(But they called them "human beanbags".)
I'm trying to work up a little game of stories and quotes that were used by different speakers for FHE tonight. These ones I need to use! Wish me luck!

Editor's addition - the FHE questions were a HUGE hit - best FHE we've had in a long time. I was super impressed with the details that every child remembered! Cool!

4 comments:

Becky said...

Normally we do a Conference Jeopardy game the FHE after conference. It's not as much fun with only one child home, so we're going to play Concentration instead - matching each of the apostles with the topic of their talk. I guess I better go make the topic cards now!

Frieda Loves Bread said...

We enjoyed conference as well! I'm glad that you are one of my REAL friends!

Anonymous said...

Catching conference via the internet this weekend. I still need to make conference packets!

Thanks for sharing!

Beckstrand7 said...

Verena, I found some really good packets on sugardoodle.net, fitting the variety of ages as well as redheadedhostess.com. Now that everybody's getting older we look online at the different packets, and the kids pick the pages they want BEFORE I print them! We watched it all online a couple of years ago about the time of the digital swap, before we had our converter box. I'm glad you can get it that way where you are!