An elderly brother in our ward, retired military, recently mentioned that he'd only ever been personally thanked for his 25 years of service three times. He only mentioned it in passing as he was expressing gratitude to the Lord for the freedoms of this magnificent country of ours.As I thought about this, I came to understand something better for myself. The efforts of those who have, do, or will serve our country are invaluable to every American. I do feel that it is a shame that our veterans are not thanked personally more often, even by me. However as I thought about it, I recognized that I do feel tremendous appreciation to all of those who have served and sacrificed for our great nation, (active service and not,) every time we pledge allegiance to the flag - at every cub scout pack meeting, or at the beginning of every school week - at every flag ceremony each morning and night at girls' camp, at several times during the year when we pause to remember, such as Memorial Day, Independence Day, Flag Day, Veterans' Day, and even Presidents' Day, and such days as Martin Luther King Day, or election day! I've been known to forward several e-mail stories of soldiers and their sacrifices and the gratitude we feel toward them. (I usually forward these especially to family members with members of the military.) I may not express individually/personally to each veteran my appreciation, but it is very much there, and I try to do my part by voting in every election, flying and saluting the flag, praying for those serving, supporting the families of fallen soldiers, and always the feeling of gratitude in my heart each time it comes to mind. I think this is a more prevalent feeling among Americans than may be acknowledged.
So THANK YOU -
for all you did and do and for your willingness to do it.
God Bless America!
He does so through the service
of willing men and women like you and your families.
THANK YOU!
Happy Veterans' Day!
Added note: We held a Veterans' Day Honorary Assembly today (11/11) at school which was very patriotic, moving and wonderful. The fifth graders (incl. my son) sang several patriotic songs from Hope of America, a show Provo puts on annually, and there were two powerpoint presentations in honor of the day, as well as several parents and teachers in full uniform to honor. We honored them and all veterans on this Veterans' Day. The Spirit of America continues in our youth!
1 comment:
We are so blessed! Christopher was asked to attend APA's Veteren's Day assembly as he is the first and so far only student of APA to serve in the Military.
Post a Comment