Today was S C A R Y, and not because it was Halloween. Today I stretched beyond my past ability. Frankly, I'm not sure it's still "past ability". Today I played the prelude for SACRAMENT MEETING on the ORGAN!But let me back up...way back. I'd been practicing the piano for years, hymns especially, but never been very good, especially not enough to accompany anyone. About a year ago, I crossed a milestone. But about a year ago, all of the sudden I could play lots of the hymns in the hymn book, so I started accompanying my family during scripture reading as we sang an opening hymn. (I've still never accompanied anyone besides family.)
Then at the beginning of this summer a sister in our ward was asked to teach an organ class to anyone interested. I felt prompted to take the class, so I did. Part of the reason I've worked so many years on hymns is because I feel that we should do our best to prepare ourselves to serve wherever needed in the church. I felt that I should take the organ class so that I'd know some basics for the day someday...like when Nels and I are on a
mission somewhere and they need someone to play. (I look back and realize that when the Bishopric had been released and ward organist was called to be the new executive secretary...ah ha! Ulterior motive!) So we took the organ class, once a week for several weeks. It was interesting!They replaced the organist with another skilled musician, (she used to teach our kids piano,) but she's in the Stake Primary Presidency, so she has to be gone sometimes. The idea was to fill in with those of us who took the organ class! So here I am. I practiced for weeks, and did okay today, but messed up badly on the last hymn. I panicked, but had to keep going, even though I couldn't get either hand to work right!
Now I've been asked to play the piano for the Priesthood Preview next week since my son is one of the boys there - that's accompanying others singing! They asked me BEFORE they saw me play in Sacrament Meeting, so the Lord's orchestrating this somehow. Our Sunday School lesson was Isaiah's message about us preparing for the Second Coming - they asked the question "What we can do to help prepare for the growth explosion of the Church?" I realized this could be part of that.
So I'm developing a talent I did not have! I'm still not very good at it-but I am stretching...and it is S C A R Y doing it!
10 comments:
You did a *great* job--I was very impressed! And thank you, thank you for helping us out at the Priesthood Preview!
I just started taking piano lessons and I don't even want to imagine myself ever playing in sacrament, but you did it! I think that's awesome and I'm sure it went much better than you feel it did. Good luck at the Priesthood Preview!
I'm so proud of you!!! Not only for going beyond your comfort zone, but for recognizing the Spirit's promptings to take that class.
One of my more memorable "awful" experiences was failing my piano juries at BYU my freshman year. That led to me taking organ lessons my sophomore year, which was much better preparation for life and service than another year of piano lessons would have been. It's a wonderful blessing seeing the Lord's hand in our lives. Keep up the good work!
Good for you! I think I would have said NO. But, I also haven't been doing anything to prepare myself.
Oh my goodness- you are so BRAVE! I'm so impressed! Go Susan!
Wow! All those comments already? I feel so loved! Thanks, girls. We just keep trying to improve in whatever way we can, don't we?
Susan, I am AMAZED and PROUD of you! As many people that play the piano, there are even FEWER that play the organ. My VT (who plays and sings in the MoTabChoir) asked me if she could teach me to play the organ. After thinking/talking about it, we decided that with my hearing impairment, it wouldn't be such a good idea. I have been happy to "pitch in" in the past by playing the piano in SacMtg.
You never know, you just might be called to play the organ in the temple ~
Hi Susan... just ran across your blog! You were awesome, I thought you did an excellent job. I was impressed because when you started to mess up just a little, you sat up straight and said to yourself, "I can do this!" and you did! You stopped missing notes and finished playing strong. You were a great example to me. Just think how easy it'll be next time. ;)
You are doing so well. Keep improving this very special talent. I'm very proud of you. Love, Mom
Man I wish Mom had kept me at Piano... helps to have a piano!
Post a Comment