Look what I accomplished yesterday! Well, let me back up. For a while I've been suspicious that we may have mice. Then this week, during family scripture reading, Jonathan saw one. Okay, that did it; I had to protect our food storage. A few weeks ago I found a bag of wheat with a hole in it, wheat spilling out. That was my first inkling we may have a mouse problem. But I wasn't sure that was the problem, and I was swamped with other things -- like Christmas?! But I knew we needed to clean, organize and protect the food in our store room. Yesterday was my first day off in the new year that I wasn't putting away Christmas or being sick, so it was the day.
Don't be too disgusted, but here's the before pictures, after a year of kids just dumping the food
supplies or Christmas stuff, or whatever--or playing in there!--and where the wheat was spilling.
Here's where I went for supplies; (it's January, so storage supplies are on sale!):

Here's the in between:
I reorganized everything on the shelves too, so that it was more intuitive. Samuel gets sent down to get the supplies needed for fixing dinner, and occasionally he can't find what I need. Now the condiments are in one section, and since we use them the most, the tomatoes are front and center; all like-foods are next to each other. He loves it!
This gave me a SUPER opportunity to evaluate our inventory, and make a list of the basics that we needed. And Macey's (grocery store around here) was having a caselot and food storage sale! I was intending to go shopping that day anyway, so I took my list and replenished my basics. Now those half empty bins are full again, except the flour one, since they were all out of the one I wanted yesterday. I'll go back today or Monday. We have at least 3-6 months worth, and I'll keep working on building it up some more.
Now my store room is the cleanest, most organized room in the house! Hopefully, I can get that to spill over into the rest of the house soon!
Doesn't it look GREAT?:
Here's where I went for supplies; (it's January, so storage supplies are on sale!):

Here's the in between:
This gave me a SUPER opportunity to evaluate our inventory, and make a list of the basics that we needed. And Macey's (grocery store around here) was having a caselot and food storage sale! I was intending to go shopping that day anyway, so I took my list and replenished my basics. Now those half empty bins are full again, except the flour one, since they were all out of the one I wanted yesterday. I'll go back today or Monday. We have at least 3-6 months worth, and I'll keep working on building it up some more.
Doesn't it look GREAT?:
And SAFER from thieving rodents....TAKE THAT, Mice!
My philosophy about food storage? Only store what you eat and will rotate on an ongoing basis. Last year when eggs got outrageously priced, I
BTW, if you want you can go to my recipe website, where I'm keeping my recipes - it's a great way for me to preserve, ready-to-print recipes, and share them (with my mom on her mission, or the neighbor who wants the recipe for what I took them for dinner.) And I can throw away lots of papers that otherwise are taking room in my cupboards!
I love clean spaces...I just wish I were better at keeping things that way!
So which is my next project? I need another one that will stay done for longer than an hour or less!
9 comments:
IT looks great! I wish I had an area in my house like that. I just don't have the room to have a space just for food storage. We kind of have it here and there thoughout the house and the garage. Someday maybe.
WOW, I am so jealous of your food storage room (even in the "before" stage). My biggest problem with food storage is the STORAGE.
Great job, Susan! You are right on target...store what you eat, eat what you store! You are saving your family big bucks by your cooking skills (ready to eat and dehydrated foods cost a lot). It's time for me to inventory...I do it 2x a year! Thanks for the inspiration! (Melissa, what about food storage under beds? It can be done!)
Doesn't it feel good to know where you are at? I always assess mine around Macey's case lot sales. (although they sure sold out of a lot of things fast this time, and I don't always get back with the rain checks) And labeling helps keeps kids accountable for where things go so they can help organize too. And thanks for the tip on the dried eggs. . . they've always made me nervous but maybe I'll try them!
Yes, it does feel good. I've found that if Maceys is out of some sale item I check at Kohlers, since they have the same sales on the big stuff - something about the Associated Foods chain. That happened this time, when Maceys was out of the unbleached flour I was trying to replace. I'd also forgotten to pick up some swiss cheese that was on sale, so I went to Kohlers in Lehi. They also have a much better and cheaper selection of vegetables there, and I really like supporting the local "Mom & Pop" store too. Sometimes I just go to Kohlers instead, since when I go to Maceys I always spend much more...bigger store, more selection, perhaps?
Good for You! I know who to call when I run out of something. Isn't it nice to indulge and get something accomplished. Do you find yourself just going down there to stand in a clean organized space? I would!
I've always been jealous of that room...SO big and now SO clean! Most of my food storage is out at the shop.. only 50 yards away in a seperate building! Grrr...
I would love to have a big space like that for food storage. Ours (what little we have) is scattered around the house hidden under the couches etc. Looks great. I need to get on it more! Thanks for the inspiration.
I like it! We had storage closets installed in the garage after we moved in to store our food storage in. The cabinets are up off the floor so if, say the water heater decides to break, the water won't ruin the food storage, just flows right under everything.
Hope you have something for water too. Remember, the recommended amount of H2o is 1 gallon per person per day and that doesn't really include the H2o used in cooking and cleaning.
Post a Comment