Friday, February 5, 2010

What's a corner?

You have to be careful communicating, because often the person you're communicating with won't understand what you're talking about, but you won't know they don't. That's true of everybody, but especially of children! (And spouses too, actually.)

Just today in the van on the way to school, Jason asked, "Mom, if I had $180 I could buy a house!..?" Huh? Come to find out, he'd seen a billboard advertising some condos for prices "in the $180's." Thus started a conversation about advertisers knowing their target audience would understand that they really meant the "$180,000's" but that "$180's" is easier to read and write. (It's cool having kids old enough to understand discussions like this!)

Another example is one that I've been realizing during family prayers during the last couple of days. But that story starts during a Sacrament Mtg in our ward a couple of weeks ago, when our stake high counselor was speaking about missionary opportunities. Years ago, he served his mission as a young man in the Utah North mission. He was pointing out, with authority based on his experiences, that missionary work in Utah is very possible. He challenged the ward members to pray for missionary opportunities, and that they would come if we are open to them. Our FHE the next night included that discussion & decision. But apparently we didn't properly explain what "missionary opportunities" means, because for the first few days the little kids weren't adding that to their prayers, and in the last couple of days they've been trying: "Please bless that the missionaries can come to our house," "Help all the missionaries and stuff." (This was in addition to our usual, "Bless Grandma & Grandpa and Cousin Chris on their missions.")

It's like that Mormon Ad commercial from years ago all over again.

A mother was frantically looking for her little girl. She ran outside (in her robe) and saw her little daughter getting ready to cross the street at a busy intersection. Her relief quickly turned to anger as she scolded the little girl and asked her, “How many times have I told you not to go to the corner.” The little girl looked up with sad eyes and asked, Mommy, what’s a corner?”

It's time to define the "corners" again...and again...still!

2 comments:

Becky said...

Yes, life keeps zooming along. Megan's expecting a boy on July 4th. I think she mentioned it on Facebook, but they haven't got around to it on their blog. I think they've been busy! And so are we. We're happy for David, and although we haven't met Elizabeth, we've heard only good things! Take care and have a wonderful day :)

Louise Hiatt said...

I have enjoyed reading your blog so much and getting to know my Utah cousins. After 11 snow days I've decided to start my own blog -- it won't measure up to yours, Becky's, Harlene's, Karyn's, etc. but send me an email if you are interested in reading it. Also, you could pass this on to any other family. We got a new computer at Christmas time and I don't have anyone's email addresses anymore. louisehiatt@comcast.net