Monday, March 8, 2010

New callings...

So it's official - my new calling is....Young Women Secretary!

I'm calling it a "lateral transfer," from secretary of one organization to another. Kimberly's reaction? "I KNEW you were going to YW, Mom! I just KNEW it!!" Gee, I didn't. I'm excited about the opportunity, and it's quite different from Primary, but with a few similarities - I'm back doing the newsletter again, and monthly reports, and all, but now I have to make two agendas a week, keep track of the budget, etc. It will be great. I'm also very lucky that one of the former Primary counselors I worked with was called as a new counselor in YW too, so we still get to work together. Lots of benefits there. The other members of the presidency are wonderful women, and the opportunity to be with the YW is great. I haven't been there since Gregory was a baby.

Now Nels' new calling: Cub Master (not assistant anymore)! It was a major shock to him. He REALLY feels like a fish out of water for this Church calling. But the Bishop let him/us know that he was assured by the Lord that Nels was the right man for the job right now. Nels is working hard to get the right perspective. It would have been less of a shock had I been given that calling instead! Kimberly's reaction, "How is he going to do THAT?" expressed Nels' basic response. But the same thing applies to this calling as in any when people of such vast different personalities come to a calling. Somehow what this person has to offer is what the Lord wants or needs for it now. Nels may not be one to EVER dress up in a clown costume, he never really was a typical 8 year old boy, but he is EXACTLY who the Lord wanted, so all will be well. He did get in an assistant someone who can pull off the goofy side. And maybe he'll loosen up a bit. Also, somehow, the Lord will help Nels get all the other stuff done that he needs to in spite of this added burden.

Now all we have to do is find a place to keep the four accounting boxes, eight shoe boxes and odds and ends of cub scout paraphernalia!

3 comments:

MarieC said...

I LOVE Young Women's!! Love it. I've been YW secretary more than once. Teaching Beehives now.

Congrats to both of you on your new callings. I am sure Nels will rise to the occasion and be a fantastic Cubmaster!

Becky said...

New challenges and experiences are always fun, aren't they?

I'm trying to help Wayne in his new calling as Scout Committee Chair and spent some time at http://olc.scouting.org/ last night. It's really pretty amazing and informative, and if he hasn't seen it yet, Nels might find it quite helpful. Enjoy your new adventures!

P.S. Roundtables, if they're run correctly, are an amazing resource for Cubmasters too.

Frieda Loves Bread said...

Congratulations to you both! I know you will excel! I call it the 'circle of life' when you progress through callings, first nursery, then primary, YW/YM, then RS....