Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Jonathan learns about following the Spirit

So we were headed home from my brother's house after watching BYU trounce UofU (liked that part) and just hanging out watching videos and not being responsible for anything. (Liked that part!)

So we got home somewhere after 11:00, and I woke everyone in the van, wrapped in the blankets they had brought with us. They crawled into the house and fell onto couches or into their beds. I went around the house turning off lights and locking doors and went to bed. About 1:30 I awoke to the doorbell ringing repeatedly, and pounding on the front door. As I went downstairs, I heard familiar yelling out the door. I opened the door to find my 7 1/2 year old son out there! Yikes! I pulled him in, making hot chocolate for him, vaguely wondering why he wasn't very cold. Out came the story. It seems that he didn't really wake up and come in with everyone else. He slept wrapped warmly in his blanket for another couple of hours. When he woke up and tried to go inside, he found the door from the garage to the house locked. He pounded on the door, yelling, but even Kimberly & Samuel on the couches in the adjacent room didn't hear him. (Jason in his basement room heard him, but thought it was a monster...he told us that story the next day, poor guy!) Finally Jonathan realized that he was going to have to ask Heavenly Father for help if he was to get into the house. Three times he prayed, and each time he got the impression to open the big garage door and ring the front doorbell. The third time he decided to follow the impression, and I heard him. We've had some great conversations about how the Spirit talks to us, and how to recognize it.


Whew. I'm so thankful the Lord protected my son, and that he's learning from it!

2 comments:

Harlene said...

Amazing, and what a good Mom you are to turn in in to a moment! I can't believe Jason didn't come get you.

Beckstrand7 said...

Are you kidding - there was a monster up stairs. He talked about the monster first thing in the morning, before he knew who the monster really was! Jonathan would have been up there in a heartbeat - he has such a tender heart. But Jason's more all for one, and all for me - sort of. But then he's only six too...