So I promised to do a blog on Kimberly's big decisions. Here it is.Several months ago I was praying and praying to decide two things about Kimberly's future. They were: 1) Whether she should continue going to the charter school where the rest of the younger kids were going, and where I work or to go to the local junior high. And 2) What her future with piano lessons which she hates should be. After many prayers, and even fasting the answer came: "It's not for you to get these answers anymore, it's her turn." Yikes! But that only made sense. I realized that it's absolutely right. Knowing her personality (common for her age, but even more her personality...) if SHE makes the decision, she'll accept it, and even embrace the accomplishment of it.
So began her quest. We discussed it several times, and over the summer,
she's been deliberating. Finally a couple of Sundays ago she decided about school. "I've decided to go to Odyssey, Mom." WHEW! That was going to make life a LOT easier for me. But I asked her for a few days after that if she was sure. She continued firm. She said she woke up one day and just decided. (It takes a while to learn the language of the Spirit, doesn't it.) She & I went on the Odyssey Jr. High Student hike up up to a watterfall; it was fun. She is embracing her decision!
Music - well, that one is a harder decision for her, and she has still not made it. (Our kids are required to play 20 hymns before quitting lessons.) She has to decide what her "effort" will be spent on. Once she does, she'll be unstoppable.That's her nature. I think she's gradually getting her answer and just not quite willing to accept it yet...
...My kids are growing up!
4 comments:
Good for you and good for Kimberly!
It takes a lot of courage to let your children start to make their own decisions. It is great that you will all be at the same school for another year.
It seems you have a girl like mine. They NEED to have control of their life, in some ways at least. I suppose the older the girls get those decisions become bigger and come more often. But that is what we are training them for, right?! To be independent and successful decision makers. So we are doing something right. Heck, lets let them fall on their faces a few times so that they learn how to avoid that while they are still young and the consequences are smaller. Ugh, but its still hard letting go though!!
That is so cool. We are here to give them roots to grow and wings to fly. She'll be flying high, I just know it!
Post a Comment