Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Peanut Brittle for Christmas

Ahhhh...it really feels Christmas now, since we've been eating homemade peanut brittle! That's what I grew up with. So I don't have Frieda's knowledge of how to make a recipe printer ready for you, but here's the recipe anyway. Merry Christmas!

Mom H's Peanut Brittle

2 c sugar
1/2 c water
1 c white corn syrup
2 c raw peanuts

Measure & set aside:
1 tbsp butter
1 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla
2 level tsp baking soda

Mix together sugar, water and syrup. Bring to a boil in a heavy aluminum pan (pressure cooker great). Boil until it threads when dropped from a spoon, (abt. 265 degrees F). Add uncooked or raw peanuts. Let cook until syrup begins to turn light brown, (300 degrees F). Remove from the heat and quickly add butter, soda, salt & vanilla. (Don't accidently brush the syrup spoon on your fingers!) Stir and pour on a large buttered cookie sheet or marble slab. Spread thin and cool. When cooled well, crack with the back of a knife handle.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Frieda Loves Bread said...

Susan, Thank you for the recipe! I was able to copy, paste and save in my recipe folder...now, I gotta go make it...yum!

Anonymous said...

I think I might actually try that one. Thanks. O, I hope your thumb feels better. Burns are the worste!

Karen said...

Boy do I remember making peanut brittle! Every year! And guess what? A little known secret I have... I really don't like peanut brittle. I know that everybody else always has! But for some reason it was never my thing. I think it was the raw peanuts or... not sure. But it's still a Christmas treat for sure, even if I don't eat it! More for everybody else! :)