
Okay, so I finally finished the book, and I can concentrate on the rest of my life again. I haven't done much around the house lately. I did fix dinner last night about 7 p.m. only because we had pizza the night before! Okay, it's not quite as bad as that, but when I get to reading a good book that's also long, my housework does suffer. I finally got the laundry folded after starting it on Monday...
The book? North and South, by Elizabeth Gaskell. I came to understand that this book was originally written in weekly chapters (52 of them) for Charles Dickens' magazine Household Words back in 1854. The BBC production was a good adaptation of the book, and the differences - I like both versions. I liked the book as much as I expected too. I had to spend considerable time looking at the footnoted references, and found a glossary of terms in the back (after I finished it!) Because the characters from several classes, the dialects of each was strongly different. That was part of the reason it took so long to read. The story was so worthwhile. Here is a woman put in a difficult situation who takes what she's given and contributes to several levels of society by her decisions with whom to associate, and how she communicates with them. I also love the several references to trusting in the Lord. Definitely a worthy book. I'd love to discuss this one with my father, at one time an English teacher-he's the one who led me to Pride and Prejudice-and my mother who loves good literature!
Work has been VERY busy, and fulfilling too. I love that the kids at school love the library. We consistently have 8-10 kids visit the library before school in the morning. The atmosphere of books, learning and so forth is there. I also feel it a part of my personal responsibility to bring the Spirit of the Lord with me, so that it can be felt there. Somehow. I play classical music while the classes come in. "Make sure you can hear the music!" I love that I can ask everybody that comes there to be quiet! Am I getting old that I prefer quiet to noise? I don't think I'll miss that part of a household full of children when mine grow up and leave. I'll miss the kids, but not the noise and the mess!
At least the Pinewood Derby car got painted and is almost ready for the race on Tuesday! I help the Cub Scout with the painting, and Nels helps with the wheels and weights. We have just one this year, but next year we'll be back to two cars. Picture to come next week.
But I'm rambling. I had better get back to clearing away the laundry, and clearing the floor enough that I can vacuum it...
Onward, Christian soldiers!
2 comments:
Well, Susan, if "North and South" take the place in your heart of "Pride and Prejudice" that is really saying something. We will have to read that, when we come home. We can't right now, but we will look forward to it. We love your blog! Love, Mom
I checked North and South out of the library last week. I'm looking forward to making some time to read it. Like you, my housework suffers when I want to be reading, so I need to make sure I'm caught up first!!
Post a Comment