When she found out I was a Pride and Prejudice fan, a friend (and one of my library volunteers) insisted I borrow her DVD of North and South - a 4 hour BBC production of Elizabeth Gaskell's 1853 book. I loved this movie so much, dare I say it may have replaced all versions Pride & Prejudice as my favorite, and that's saying a LOT! It's from the same era, also Victorian England, but the characters in this story have real purpose. I'm reading her copy of the book now.
Move over Mr. Darcy, here comes Mr. Thornton!Even though it's available on Netflix for instant view, I now know what I want for my birthday...
Of this book, CHARLES DICKENS himself wrote, "[An] admirable story...full of character and power." The dishes are done, so now I'm going to go upstairs and relax for a while with a GREAT book.
Thanks, Ana!
3 comments:
Move over Mr. Darcy?!?!? (that almost sounds sacreligious!) I will definitely have to check this one out! ;-)
Ana adds:
I whole heartily agree with you that the reason I loved this movie and book so much was because the characters had purpose. Although they are fictional, they are inspiring. They are not perfect, and have weaknesses, yet they triumph over them and come out victors. I draw strength from their story regularly.
And I do agree with you on "move over Mr. Darcy, here comes Mr. Thorton"!
Ok... update... I saw the movie. And though I can't believe I'm saying it..."Move over Mr. Darcy! Here comes Mr. Thornton!!!!"
Is so right!!!
My friend got the BBC Elizabeth Gaskell collection with three movies of her books. (Cranford, Wives and Daughters and North and South.) They were very well done and I very much enjoyed them. Especially N&S since I'm such a romantic!
Thanks for the tip!
Post a Comment