Now on with the rest. I was anxious to post about our weekend of general conference, especially the treat of having my sister and her family join us on Sunday. But the dishes problem was a higher priority suddenly, and then it seemed quick to document that.
Then my computer wigged out on me. Seriously, it rewrote the registry somehow, and created a new user and the old one missing...it was kind of scary. I couldn't find ANY of my documents, files, pictures, etc. anywhere. Panic, you say? Actually, strangely, no. I was surprised that I felt fine about it all. You'd expect that my 5 1/2 years of Primary secretary files being gone would worry me, but no. I was grateful that I had e-mailed some documents (albiet PDF format) to others, so I knew I could recreate them if necessary. Pictures - I don't print them out anymore, but instead of freaking out about that, I was just thankful that I post important ones here on my blog. And on it went. I also know enough about computers to know that unless it really rewrote over all of my files, they were probably somewhere in there. Meanwhile, I just had to wait until Nels could help me figure out what to do. (Thank heaven for a former-computer-engineer husband!) The next day he figured out kind of what had happened, and yes, the files were still there, but he didn't have time to redirect it then. The next day he set up another user directory to kluge around the computer rewrite, and we figured out how we could get access to all the files - but it was a long way to them. At least I could get to them again. But the new user meant that several things weren't working normally, including how to download pictures off my camera....so still no pictures of conference weekend. Then after a couple days, and a couple more reboots of the computer, everything came back to normal - what's that about!? Computers. Can't live with them, but can't live without them any more either. I guess we'll take them imperfections and all for now.Now you'll just have to wait until I can post again, this time with the pictures of conference and maybe Easter too!
No comments:
Post a Comment