So here I am, a children's librarian, and I had never read this latest big hit. None of my family had read it yet, including, believe it or not, Gregory! We are ordering it for our school library, but don't have it yet. I had trouble getting it from our local city library; I kept putting the wrong one on hold, then I got sick just when the right on came in for us and I didn't get to the library before the hold dropped... whatever!)But I finally finished it last night, and I was SO impressed.
When I first started it, it seemed "beginerish" if I can invent such a word. What I mean by that, is that the writing seemed a bit amateurish, perhaps for a younger crowd. But as the book progressed, the writing improved until by the end it was magnificent. This is Brandon Mull's first book, and quite a masterpiece after all. I think maybe I'll have to go back and read it again soon, and see what made the beginning seem as it did to me.
Gregory started the book about the same time I did, but stopped when one of the main characters disobeys his grandfather in a significant way. He didn't like that idea. Good kid, huh!(Besides, it was MY turn to read the book, and he was in the middle of some other book anyway.) The thing that I REALLY loved about this book was that it doesn't brush over some one's decision to make wrong choices. You know how in Harry Potter books, all their breaking rules is part of how they accomplish what they do, but they never really get punished for it? That always bothered me. Well this book handles that MUCH better! You see in the end that obeying the rules and disobeying the rules have HUGE and applicable consequences! I LOVE THAT!
Now I have to get my hands on his next book, Rise of the Evening Star, and the one coming out the end of this month, Grip of the Shadow Plague. I hope they are as good as the first. This one is definitely one for the home library!!
4 comments:
I haven't read them yet...can you believe it? I was appropriately chastized this week by a friend who was also appalled that I hadn't picked them up. I may go get the first one to take on my trip with me so we can definitely chat when I get back. I'll get right to work!!
I'll have to ask my kids. I am still trying to get through "Twilight".
I can't remember, have you read those yet?
I'm in the middle of reading "The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe" right now. How sad is that? I have never read it. Katie was reading it and I stole it from her. So fun to read "kid" books.
O and thanks for the G.C. packets. Unfortunately I didn't get it in time as I had an emergency the night before, as you know... I love it and will use it in October. Such a great idea.
I LOVE those books (C.S. Lewis)! We read them all (listened to them on CD) in the car on the way to school each day, and with the last book of the series, I bawled! His description of eternity matched well my own. I was amazed at his insight into gospel principles and eternity, even exaltation! Make sure you make it that far!
Post a Comment