Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Pinewood Derby...


Our Cub Scouts, (two of them this year!) Samuel & Jonathan participated in the annual Pinewood Derby last week. It was an interesting process preparing for. Jonathan wasn't all that interested in the whole process. Samuel designed the cars' shapes.
Nels & the boys went & got them cut out. Then the boys sanded & I helped them paint them. They each designed their own paint job, including Jonathan's Patriotic red & blue horizontal striping and Samuel's blue with red flames.
Nels helped them file down the axels of the cars as usual, but Jonathan was completely uninterested, and Samuel fell asleep before the process was complete. I forgot to get a picture of the boys working with Nels. I bought this "Speed kit" back when Gregory was a Wolf scout, and we're still using it!

As usual, it was Jason most excited by everything. Here he is running to the finish line.

Jonathan & Samuel watch on as the cars are placed on the track and ready to go.

Ready, get set, GO!



Here's the track, with some cool cars on it. It was an after-official races race, you know the ones where the Dad's make their own cars. The one on the right side, red with blue stripe is one Kimberly made out of the leftover scraps from Samuel's car! (See it again on the left paper plate.) Too cool.
Nels had to leave the Pinewood Derby races a bit early to go to the Neighborhood Caucus Mtg, where he got himself elected as a delegate, meaning that he gets to go to the state & regional (?) primaries to vote! Good for you Nels. Fortunately that doesn't involve a lot of time, but is very worthy a cause.

5 comments:

Darcee said...

Ha! I spy a very spiffy looking double decker bus!!

So fun for the boys to spend time with their dads making cars.

Harlene said...

I love any activity that involves minimal effort from me other than cheering.

We just had our first "raingutter regatta"

Becky said...

The fifteen Pinewood Derby races that we attended were some of our more memorable Cub Scout activities. My favorite was the year 9-year-old Brad's car won, (a clunker he made literally all by himself), because "I took a non-member friend with me." Have fun collecting memories, even if it is of boys falling asleep during the project!

Mike said...

Hi Nels and Susan! Thought I would stop by and say "HI"! Kraig had his third Pine Wood Derby in January. He came in second! YAHOO! His first year was first place and his second year was second place as well. I try not to remember my Pine Wood Derby's. My brother Mark was the one that won all the time!

Amy Lynn said...

I can't WAIT to do pinewood derby cars with my boys! Although with my competitive nature I'll probably be one of those moms they have to haul out of the gym for being too "overexcited"!