We had the neatest experience last night. It was about 9 p.m. Gregory & Kimberly were in their rooms reading - no surprise there. Samuel was reading a battered copy of Eragon on a couch in the family room. Nels, Jonathan (also reading Eragon, library copy) and Mom all on a couch in the front room, and JASON on the other couch in the front room, reading a stack of easy readers that Mom gave him a couple of days ago when the little boys were reading early one morning, and he wanted to be doing so too. It was a bit eerie, looking around listening to the quiet. Dishes were done, (have to tell you about the new "Dish Czar"), getting close to bed time, and for the first time that day, everyone was still awake, but it was QUIET! Nels pointed out to the boys that it was like how it was 100 years ago. Cool, huh. We have to capture those moments with our family forever!Wednesday, July 22, 2009
A family of readers...
We had the neatest experience last night. It was about 9 p.m. Gregory & Kimberly were in their rooms reading - no surprise there. Samuel was reading a battered copy of Eragon on a couch in the family room. Nels, Jonathan (also reading Eragon, library copy) and Mom all on a couch in the front room, and JASON on the other couch in the front room, reading a stack of easy readers that Mom gave him a couple of days ago when the little boys were reading early one morning, and he wanted to be doing so too. It was a bit eerie, looking around listening to the quiet. Dishes were done, (have to tell you about the new "Dish Czar"), getting close to bed time, and for the first time that day, everyone was still awake, but it was QUIET! Nels pointed out to the boys that it was like how it was 100 years ago. Cool, huh. We have to capture those moments with our family forever!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I love that! Jacob climbed into our bed the other night while we both reading and I told him, this bed is a "reading zone" so he got his Pokemon chapter book and laid with us for about 20 minutes (I think he read about 2 pages). So fun! I hope I can pass along my love of reading to all my kids.
You just did! You mentally captured it and then posted about it! I love reading and that it so great that your kids love it too!
I don't know if they still do it, but a while ago my parents decided to have a second "family night" each week. I think it was Thursday. As I recall, the three of them at home would gather in the living room, read whatever they wanted for a while, and then spend just a few minutes sharing what they had read. Doesn't that sound like a great idea? (Although I'm not ready to implement it yet!)
Very cool. I love it when my kids read. When I go in and check on Katie before I go to bed and she's still reading it brings back all my reading memories as a kid and I just CANT make her stop and go to bed. I remember being sooo tired in the morning from reading all night. Gotta love it when the whole fam. is reading. Nice.
Post a Comment