Sunday, August 23, 2009

Temple Dedication

Our family attended the 7th dedicatory services for the Oquirrh Mountain Utah Temple this morning, all of us but Jason, who hasn't been baptized yet, (but he turns eight in 11 days). The kids did even better than at the Draper Temple dedication last March. We took a bunch of Friend and New Era magazines to keep them occupied as we got their 45 minutes early.

I especially enjoyed hearing President Monson's story of how recently he and Elder Uctdorf took a tour of a 747 airplane. "Elder Uctdorf," he said, "knew every nut and bolt of the airplane." But when he sat in the pilot's seat holding the control wheel, President Monson warned, "Don't you dare, Dieter!" At that report, everybody in the session laughed, of course. It's always fun seeing a humorous side of our leaders.

Sister Margaret S. Lifferth, 2nd counselor of the General Primary presidency said something very interesting. She said that while many people think that obedience and listening to your parents (or other figures of authority) is a gift we give our parents, in actuality, "it is a gift we give ourselves!"

During the session, I was remembering how I got to be part of a choir that sang at one of the dedicatory sessions of the Mt Timpanogos Temple. I loved that wonderful experience. Oh, how I wanted to sing praises with the choir during the Hosanna Shout today! It was a relief to join them during the hymn, The Spirit of God Like a Fire is Burning.

Below is the only picture I was able to take (battery ran out on camera) when we went to the Oquirrh Mountain Temple open house in June. Included in the picture, going right to left are: Jason, my brother Jacob & son Ethen, Kimberly, Nels and my Uncle David Whitford. Behind them (on the wall) are Jonathan & Samuel.

(Another side benefit? We got home from the session at 11:00 a.m., I've already had a LONG nap, and finished several projects today, and it's not even 4:00 yet! Perfect for the Sunday after school starts!)

2 comments:

Frieda Loves Bread said...

That's so great that most of your family was with you! We attended the afternoon session, which was enjoyed by all. Thanks for your post Ü

Harlene said...

We also loved the experience!

Funny, you can hear someone say "Don't you dare, Dieter!" around here everyday.