Sunday, November 9, 2008

Ran away this weekend...

Nels and I ran away this weekend. We just did it. I won't tell you where, because you might want to feel sorry for us, but it totally served it's purpose! I needed to get away from being responsible for everything, and he needed to be away from the internet and computers, and even the telephone. So we went away. We left Friday late afternoon, and didn't come home until Saturday night around 11:30. It was so nice to be able to sleep in Saturday morning, eat breakfast, read for a bit, then go back to sleep for another long while. I finished one of my favorite novels while we were gone, A Town Like Alice, by Nevil Shute, and Nels got to watch several Clint Eastwood - Dirty Harry - movies (it was a weekend of them), and a fun BYU football game. Then we went to a fun variety show, and out to a latenight chick-flick movie, Mama Mia! It was quite fun, although the morals of the movie were a bit disturbing - made me very grateful for my own choices. I'm not sure if I liked the movie or not. The music was very fun - what do you expect, it was ABBA songs! Never thought of Pierce Brosnan or Meryl Streep as the singing type, but they did far better than I would have expected. The important thing about the weekend, is that I was able to be without responsibility for a few hours, and unwind. I even started missing the kids by late Saturday. It was good to get back. That's when you know it was successful. Every mom needs that opportunity! Sincere thanks to all those who made it possible, including my own children.

5 comments:

Harlene said...

I'm so happy for you guys! Long over do and well deserved!

MarieC said...

Cool! What a great idea! I know when the boys were gone for 6 days at Scout Camp last summer, it was a great chance to unwind and catch our breaths.

all that i love said...

I wish we lived closer to family so that Warren and I could get away for a couple days. That is about all one needs to rest and relax before you start to miss your kids again. Funny how that works. I'm glad you two got away, who cares where you went or what you did. The time alone is all you needed.

Karen said...

I'm happy for you! Making that connection is really important, and remembering that you are your own person is too! Good for you both! Love you.

Frieda Loves Bread said...

Good for the both of you! Taking care of each other helps you take care of your family! Do it often...