
It's over again. We love Thanksgiving around here. The family all comes over here, bringing different things to add to our feast. The cousins just love being together. My husband's family, Dad, Mom, two brothers, from around here. And my brother Jacob & his three year old son. Jacob's the BIG kid at the far corner of the table in that awful shot above. (Gotta get us a new digital camera!)
We're missing Nels' sister & husband (who live in Japan, boo hoo for us), and her college kids who are with their dad's extended family this year. They've always lived so far from us, that we haven't often had them here NEARLY enough, and never for holidays. (Except the time we spent Christmas in Arizona with them back before Nels & I had any kids.) I'm really looking forward to Eternity when we get to be with all we love as often as we like.
Dinner was a buffet style, as usual, since we always have such a HUGE group. It all tasted delicious. For many people, this is one meal that stresses them out. But for me, the meal is no big deal. It's the getting the messy house cleaned up that's stressful. Now that I have a roaster, there's even room in the oven for extra dishes. (I do my Dad's turkey recipe - turkey in oven bag, 1/2 hour for each pound, oven at 250 degrees - piece of cake!) I used to stuff the turkey, but now with Celiac desease in the family, I thought I'd better not contaminate the bird, so I made Mrs. Cubbison's oven dressing. Not as good, but okay.
I even bought some soy flour and on Wednesday made a couple of pies with GF (gluten free) crusts - that crust was nearly impossible to work with, and I hated the flavor of the finished product. Mom B wasn't too keen on it either, but everybody else loved it. Go figure.
So everyone ate and ate, but nobody mentioned they ate until they were sick. Karl shared some of their Great Grandfather Samuel Martin's experiences that we are VERY thankful for. Then everyone grazed the rest of the day, while we talked, played games, games and more games. (Xbox games, computer games, and later board/card games.) Nels cousin Richard & his family came over later in the evening for more fun.
I just LOVED our grown-up discussion. We were discussing life's opportunities and how to develop healthy spiritual awareness. I really appreciated my sister in law, Harlene's comment that sometimes we need to remember that although our best is not ususally very good, God recognizes it as our best even better than we do most times. He REALLY will make up the difference, even if it's almost all of what is needed! I needed that this week. I've been feeling like I'm not living up to my potential - not doing my best. But as she spoke, I KNEW that at this time, this IS my best, and it's ENOUGH for God. He WILL make up the rest for me, for my kids, for my family, and for all the people I feel I am letting down. It really is sufficient. I really appreciate Harlene's influence in my life; she really is one of my BEST friends! Thank you, Harlene, for the honor of your friendship in my life, I LOVE YOU too!
Their two youngest kids got to stay with us the next two nights--well actually the girls K&A went to Grandmother's for Thurs night. Annie & Geoffrey, we love you!
Friday we all talked to my Mom & Dad on Skype for TWO hours! (I'd sent a list of prompter questions by e-mail the day before to help them quiz the kids.) But the boys were interested for a little while, Nels for a bit, then the rest of the time it was me. But awesome, again. The rest of the day we were LAZY. Didn't leave the house, didn't go shopping, didn't fix any meals, (more grazing), finished my last Twilight book, (I'll post about those later), and watched Anne of Green Gables-and the sequel-on PBS. Karl had another book signing in town for his latest book, Anna's Prayer, then he came back and played games with Nels & a bunch of kids. I went to bed!
Today is turning into an extension of yesterday...perfect weekend.
Now I have to get in the Christmas mood...
4 comments:
Thank you again for having us all over!
I love seeing the cousins have so much fun together!
What a great Thanksgiving day. I love being able to get together with family--that is what the day is all about, to me. (The food ain't bad, either.)
I'm glad that you had a wonderful Thanksgiving! Anne of Green Gables is absolutely a fave of mine! You are brave and thoughtful to try some GF baking...I haven't ventured out there yet! Now, it's time to get into the Christmas Spirit!
That does sound like the perfect weekend!
Post a Comment