Sunday, November 2, 2008

Bread recipe...

Okay, I've had a few requests for this recipe, so here's hoping I'm not infringing on copyrights. Everything here comes from Pantry Secrets. It's SO EASY!!!

Basic Bread Recipe
One hour, start to finish, honest!
Pantry Secrets (http://www.pantrysecrets.net/)

10 1/2 C unbleached (bread) flour
1/2 C white sugar (or other sweetener)
1 tbsp salt
3 heaping tbsp Saf-Instant yeast (instant yeast - not active)
3 tbsp lecithin* (instead of oil)

Mix dry ingredients together.
Add 4 C hot tap water (may use powdered milk instead.)

Mix 1 minute in mixer; check consistency. Add water as needed. Mix 5 minutes in mixer, do not add any more water after that. You want the dough to be as moist as possible. (I didn't have a mixer for the first couple of weeks, but made it anyway. Finally I found an ancient one at DI.)

Spray counter with cooking spray. Knead dough a few times. With knife, cut into 4 equal pieces. Shape each in to loaf, spray pan, and place in pan. Cover wish dish towel to keep in moisture.

Let rise for 25 minutes, bake 25 minutes @ 350. Makes 4 loaves.

*Available in liquid or powder. Guestimate liquid amounts; it’s too sticky, (3 quarter-sized puddles). I only found the powder, so measuring in with dry ingredients is easy.

For whole wheat bread, substitute white flour with whole wheat flour. Instead of the 4 cups of water, add 3 cups of water and 1 cup applesauce to help it maintain moisture.

I have written up 1/2 batch and 1/3 batch recipes for my convenience, (might work better for a missionary couple, Mom).

A few of their 50 variations:
French Bread
Baguettes
Mini loaves
Bread sticks
Buns/rolls
Pizza/calzones
Cinnamon twists
Focaccia Bread
What to do with old bread

Buy their DVD here. Find tools and baking ingredients at their Amazon Store.

I found another blog with good info about tips and the benefits of this & other bread recipes. Of course, Frieda's Bread, Butter & Honey blog will have the most expert advise! :)

4 comments:

MarieC said...

This almost looks easy enough for me to do...someday...

Harlene said...

Do you have to use lecithin? I thought I'd try it today while I'm home.

Beckstrand7 said...

I haven't tried substituting for that. On Amazon, I did read this about it, "The instructor told us that lecithin is very healthy for you and that liquid lecithin helped break down the fats in the bread to make the texture softer and more moist." I understand it replaces oil in bread recipes.

Frieda Loves Bread said...

Yay! Welcome to the breadmaking club! I have not tried lecithin, but have a neighbor who swears by it, and it tastes good! Lecithin is all natural, helps the texture of the dough, makes it easier to handle, and extends the shelf life of your bread. Vital wheat gluten serves similar purposes. If you are allergic to nuts, you may want to avoid soy-based lecithin. I use vital wheat gluten in my food storage as it has a 6 yr unopened shelf life. Go breadmakers!